Bacon Bar and Chorizo Stuffed Dates with Spicy Oaxaca Red Sauce

dates Bacon Bar and Chorizo Stuffed Dates with Spicy Oaxaca Red Sauce

Bacon Bar and Chorizo Stuffed Dates with Spicy Oaxaca Red Sauce

This recipe is inspired by a signature dish of likely my favorite restaurant in Chicago, avec. Chef Koren Grieveson is epic and this is the spot I bring all out of town and in town guests to not only experience the food but the creative, easy going vibe. The air pulses with energy, the communal seating promises a chance encounter and the room buzzes with great tunes. It is an absolute must-try. They don’t take reservations and thank God they are open late. I think this is the only late night spot in Chicago where you can eat something other than a burrito. Can anyone tell me why Chicago closes shop so early? avec is open until midnight on weekdays and 1 am on weekends.

The taleggio foccaccia and bacon wrapped chorizo stuffed dates are two of my passions on the menu. I have created my own version of Koren’s dates, by of course, adding chocolate to the dates and in the sauce. The magic of that salty and spicy meat, a touch of sweet chocolate and some acidic tomato is heightened by a roasting process that brings it all together. Spread the flavor and try it out.

Bacon Bar and Chorizo Stuffed Dates with Spicy Oaxaca Red Sauce

yields: 15 stuffed dates & sauce

For bacon bar stuffed dates:
15 medium-sized Medjool dates
2 chorizo sausages, casings removed, raw and spicy
1, 3 oz. Vosges Mo’s Bacon Bar (or 3 segments Couverture Bar, cut into 4 pieces per square)
8 slices Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Bacon
1 batch of Spicy Oaxacan Red Sauce (recipe follows)
cilantro for serving

2 oz. Vosges Haut-Chocolat Oaxaca Bar
1/2 dried chipotle chili, reconstituted in water, seeded
1 tbsp olive oil to finish
salt to taste
3 splashes liquid smoke
1 tsp cumin

Cut the dates on one side lengthwise and remove the pits. Break each 3 oz. bacon bar square into 4 pieces. Cut bacon strips in half. Stuff each date with 1 tbsp of chorizo and place a piece of bacon bar in the center of the chorizo. Fold chorizo around chocolate and close date. Wrap each date in half a piece of bacon. Sear bacon-wrapped dates over high heat in an ungreased pan until crispy. Set aside.

Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in large stock pan. Add onion and garlic with salt and sugar, cooking over medium heat until translucent. Add tomato paste and deglaze pan with sherry; cook until the majority of alcohol is boiled off, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, Oaxaca bar and chipotle chili. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Purée with an immersion blender until smooth. Add cumin, liquid smoke and season to taste with olive oil and salt.

In a deep baking sheet (about 1″ side walls) pour Oaxaca red sauce about half-way up the sheet. Transfer the seared dates to the baking sheet, spacing each about 1 inch apart. Bake the dates in sauce for 25 minutes. Serve in sauce, garnish with cilantro and bacon bar shavings.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Bacon Bar and Chorizo Stuffed Dates with Spicy Oaxaca Red Sauce”

1. WOW. These sound absolutely incredible. Yum!

2. Sounds yummy! and I love your Mo Bacon bar, it’s my fave of yours!!!

3. the taste of olive oil is very very good, it is one of the best tasting cooking oils out there;–

4. Art Citron says:

I just made this!!! Oh My God! I thought that your Mo Bacon Bar was fantastic, now in a recipe?!?!?! The sweet with the spice and the smoky bacon make this the greatest thing ever created.

5. [...] Bacon Bar and Chorizo Stuffed Dates with Spicy Oaxaca Red Sauce [...]

6. Elena Urschel says:

I experimented and made my own version of Devils on Horseback; I take Medjool dates and stuff with dark chocolate and candied ginger, then wrap in extra thick smoked bacon and bake at 400 for 20 min. on a rack.

The bacon should be thoroughly cooked, but chewy. I would like to make these using Vosges dark spicy chocolate and/or adding some cooked serrano or jalapena and leaving the ginger out.

Your chocolate is, of course, the best, best, best. And I love the cocoa mix. DELICIOUS

7. games says:

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the
    easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get
    irked while people think about worries that they plainly don’t know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole
    thing without having side effect , people can take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

8. When people are sharing a good big laugh, they are in the moment
    of love, and truly in one with the higher Divine.
    The law of vibration is a powerful part of the law of attraction.
    Though advance technology is more difficult to understand but you can make it so easy by study a
    lot about the methods and techniques which is basic rule of using “photo retouching”.

9. Yunifa says:

The kick loss probably has snmitheog to do with osmosis or snmitheog the crossage* of a semi-permeable membrane from a place of higher concentration to a place of lower concentration maybe the spices in the chorizo crept out into the general pizza milleau. It’s happened to me with olives in chili. The taste test awesome but the finished product? The olives just tasted like lumps. Still, it sounds like a great combo of stuff!* I make up words like you make up pizza.

10. Hi there, constantly i used to check web site posts here in thee early hours in the dawn, since
    i enjoy to gain knowledge of more and more.

My blog tempat beli sepatu vans di bandung tempat beli sepatu vans di bandung

11. Interesujące spojrzenie na sprawę, każdy winien rozczytać także
    zaznajomić się z przedmiotem. Jak Stworzyć Własną tworzenie stron internetowychę Internetową

12. Georgianna says:

Perhaps you had a fragmented family and never experienced consistency in your early
    years. Then he added a ton of third-and-mediums and third-and-longs.
    Learn to be aware of your intuition, and you will get
    better over time.

13. Shonda says:

Ask others if they have ever used the limo services you are
    thinking about hiring. Some of them deliberately move slowly, in order to get more money;
    therefore, you must always confirm the prices from the
    company. E-commerce hosting refers to the vendor who provides solutions for
    any business who wish to conduct retail and trade services on the internet.

14. These are great and the most effective elementary ideas of layout the world have experienced @ the minute so much, is not
    straightforward wondering to design and style as a fantastic designer
    but enable your suggestions and improvements life generations lengthy
    for the other individuals to emulates you. Generate the finest and
    lets your most effective be from these tips for the earth to bear in mind endlessly.